Monday, November 7, 2011

Goodwill Lamp Do-Over Little Bit O Christmas!


Today is kind-of a quiet day.  I have/had/still have LOTS of projects going on.  I’m doing a guest blogging, and will be doing a Christmas Feature within the next couple of months…whew!  Plate is full.  [Insert part about Parker’s 3rd Birthday Debacle Here] [Start banging head on wall NOW]… And, yes, Parker’s Party was Sunday and at 11:00 pm...SATURDAY NIGHT....I was still making the tags for goodie boxes…ugh!!! 

So, here’s a quick Goodwill Lamp do-over!  We’re doing a homemade Christmas (except for brothers and dad because it’s impossible to make something for them that either: A-they couldn’t have/already haven’t made for themselves, or B-actually want) but for everyone else, it has to be “made”…or recycled.  I’m all about it.  Since my big bro and fam are relocating into Grandma’s House (left to them…and they’re still remodeling before the big move…practically rebuilding….) it’s perfect timing for the Homemade Christmas.  Here’s what I’m making so far…Don’t worry.  Only one of the three of them can read and she can’t get to my blog.  Niece-“new” lamp for new room…Nephews-“new” football helmet lamp…post on that when it’s done…and they also get a “new” baseball side table, post on that when it’s done.  For my sister…a “new” chair to go with her vanity (seen here)…post on that when it’s done, and she also gets an American Girl Closet…yep I’m building it with no plans…post on that when it’s done….and yes…everyone else’s gifts…haven’t figured it out yet.  AWESOMENESS!
Here’s Christmas Gift #1…the Goodwill Lamp for Niece…

It started like this….
















Here’s what I used/what I did:  Painted all of the little brassy pieces with Killz primer, then Krylon (Watermelon, Ocean Blue, Lime Green (Ivy), and Purple...LOVE those little Short Cuts cans!), then covered all of them with 2 coats of Opulence Pearl (used on vanity),put in  a new light kit, re-covered the shade with fabric from Hobby Lobby…added some frilly green stuff (yes it has a name…but I don’t know what it is) to the bottom of the shade and a little on the sides gathered using some buttons also from Hobby Lobby…(wish I owned stock there…)  I used Rub n buff for some accents, bought a new finial from lampfinials.com.  O yeah…I didn’t sew the shade…I used a hot glue gun and faked it because well, that’s how I roll….(as mentioned before I am not great at sewing…and I saw on house of smith’s where she recovered a shade using glue…so I did it and it worked!)












Bought original lamp from one of my junk places for $8.00 and as far as the other stuff, what I didn’t have I used coupons for but the finial was the splurge @$8.00   Ready for it…wait for it…total cost in lamp…$22.00….all that…o yeah! SCORE!  Fit for a princess!

See you tomorrow…BTW…two new colors of ASCP arrived Friday.  Wait till you see what I’m making next! 

The Girl Creative

Photobucket