I made these beds because the kids were lacking toy storage space in their shared room at our old house. I checked Anna White's blog for some inspiration. Here's what I knew:
*Needed space to store toys in the bed while keeping them organized.
*Needed to use the toddler mattresses we had (also the same size of a crib mattress).
*Needed to be able to position them in a particular corner (we were getting ready to list).
*Needed to utilize the corner space for; doll highchair, doll stroller, stuffed animals, and other items didn't want out during showings.
*Needed space for Christmas Tree (yes, I know).
First, I found some clear storage bins with lids from Walmart that I could use. (Store toys and keep them organized...check!) Then there were some toys that I needed to store that were oddly shaped and needed open bins. So, for this, I went to ULINE and they have TONS of things like this that aren't super expensive. Here are the tubs from Walmart...
Next, design beds that will fit the maximum number of toy bins that wouldn't hog too much room and could still utilize the mattresses we had...so that's what I did. I'm sure the guys at Home Depot were going to kill me when I showed them what I was building and how many cuts they'd need to make for me. At least they were super nice about wanting to kill me I suppose. So, after work I returned to the Depot to collect my lumber yard. Once I unloaded all of this I was overwhelmed....but that's okay. I feel like this a lot. Especially when I am in the middle of a project that seems to have no end...and you will too. Guarantee it...just keep swimming! OR...have a glass or two of wine and go back at it...both work well. Here's what I mean...
So on to building these bad boys. First I made "boxes". Not all had tops to them...not all had bottoms to them. I was making this up as I went along according to my "drawing and plans"...lol!
This was the "middle tic-tac-toe" thingamajig I made. Yes, very technical I know. After those were done, I "framed" them in with what was the top and bottom of the beds.
I also used little bun feet on the bottoms, and made the left over sides a little book shelf. With some help from Mr. A2B I flipped them up and made sure my tubs fit. Thank goodness they did.
I used 1x2's to "trim out the fronts of the beds. And with the help of about 20 million tubes of caulk, wood filler, and sand paper I was ready to paint! Here's the final product...
I did add rails so the monsters wouldn't fall out. I didn't build them. I took apart an old shelf that held baskets that we weren't using anymore, and made them work. :)
This picture was taken while I was building the back corner part, and before I filled all of the holes on the rails. Remember, I needed a place to store all of the space-hogging toys so we could show the house. That's why the beds needed to go in this corner. To label the tubs, I used my "DIY chalk board labels". The Monsters actually put their toys away-where they belong. Never in my life did I think that would happen.
And, here she is...in her Christmas decorated Glory!!!!
And there you have it... DIY Toddler Storage Beds! When I look back at the pictures from the old house, I miss it. I miss it a lot. I spent 6 years turning a bachelor pad into a home for our family. I constantly need to remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day and if our old house took me 6 years, our new house will take me 12. So, with that in mind I hope you plan on sticking around! :)
Maybe this weekend I'll fill you in on some of the details of selling our home. Looking back on that journey makes me feel blessed. And who knows, maybe if you're thinking of selling or moving you could use some of our tips.
Have a great weekend!!!